Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Luminescence"



This project is titled Luminescence. I did a lot of research for this project because I didn't really know where I wanted to go with it. I researched sunrise, sunset, starlight, direction, intensity, spotlight, shadow, and many other kinds of light. I noticed that I found myself at the darker end of the electromagnetic spectrum.




The shades of light that I discovered at this end really caught my attention when it came to how certain shades of light can make you feel certain ways. Light is an amazing thing which plays a huge role in how we live our daily lives. We wouldn't be able to see anything if it weren't for light. While sitting in church one Sunday morning, I found my inspiration. Stained glass.






Stained glass is something that you can glance at and easily find yourself in a daze with. It is not only a beautiful object with its amazing patterns but also relays a breathtaking reflection of light onto a wall, ceiling, or other surrounding object. I found myself lost within the array of colors that something so simple offered.


Even though stained glass was my inspiration, like any designer, I moved on into the phase where your mind is filled with so many ideas that you can't figure out what to do. I found myself with another inspiration...the actual light bulb.



I thought about how simple a light bulb is to everyone, but as a plethora of thoughts filled my head, I realized that if anything is given the chance, it can become something incredible. I thought about how the light bulb is the part of a light fixture that gets hidden away and never gets credit for being the most important part of the light fixture. I then got out my sketchbook and created a throw-up page...



After grasping both ideas, I realized that the fixture is not what the important part of the project is, but what is, is the actual effect it gives off. After coming to this conclusion, I decided that I would put the light bulb chandelier aside for now, and go ahead with the stained glass idea for this project.




No comments:

Post a Comment