Tuesday, January 11, 2011

IAR 202- wi1

WHOLE > the sum of its parts
designer bio + goals

Being only four years old, I felt miniscule and not of worth to sit beside this strong, beautiful, and extremely gifted woman. The knowledge she possessed blew my mind beyond all measures as she enthusiastically shared with me the intricate detail of the home which would one day show itself beyond the thought captured within papers. With the floor plans in front of me, I was in awe, and fantasized to be just like her one day. My grandmother not only claimed the spot of my forever role-model, but as the person in life who I loved the most. Completing her education at the Woman's College at the University of North Carolina with a degree in design, it then became my dream to study at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and pursue a degree in Interior Architecture. Upon entering the second semester of my sophomore year, I have collaborated a list of personal strengths and goals through peer insight and self examination in which I hope to enhance upon and gain over the next four months. Some strengths I have developed are, clearly being able to convey ideas and thoughts through my writing to those savvy in the design world, good craft through hand produced work, and the ability to work in teams. Many goals make up the second list, as I found it easier to find areas in my life which could use improvement. These are gaining a broader understanding of design, learning how to design for others and not only for myself, developing more advanced writing skills while learning how to write in a way which is comprehensive to designers and non-designers, and applying myself more in all elements of the classroom. After being named an originator in design, through a test called the Change Style Indicator, it became apparent to me that I am a risk taker who has learned to deal with uncertainty and is open to new ideas. I not only like to change rules, but advocate change in all respects, and am unpractical as I can almost always see the big picture. This quiz, being extremely accurate, brought to my attention that there is another goal in which I need to add to my list: the ability to understand and appreciate conservation. This makes the title, whole > sum of its parts, appropriate as I begin to more deeply discover who I am. It's a task of sorts, but one journey in which I find myself eager to embark on.



"Don't go through life...grow through life."
-Butterworth

No comments:

Post a Comment